Monday, July 3, 2023

Week 16 Summary (07/26/1920 - 08/01/1920)

Week Sixteen of the 1920 BBW Replay is in the books, and while there were no changes at the top, both leagues are tightening up as the end of season approaches. The replay has moved into the month of August and there are only nine weeks remaining to be played. Both New York teams faced off in the World Series in 1921, 1922, and 1923, but in the 1920 replay both teams got off to an extremely hot start and, with a few minor exceptions, led their respective leagues all the way. Can they both hold on? Is it a year too early for these two? That's why we play the game.


There was another no-hitter this past week, the fifth of the season, and the second by Cincinnati hurler Dolf Luque:



For some reason, I have thrown a lot of no-hitters as part of my replays. The list to date for 1920 is as follows:

 

May 5, 1920, Babe Adams (Perfect Game!)

May 20, 1920, Dolf Luque

May 30, 1920, Babe Adams

June 30, 1920, Rollie Naylor

August 1, 1920, Dolf Luque

 

On July 20, 1920, Red Faber and Jack Quinn both took no-hitters into the tenth inning and although both teams eventually did end up getting hits, it still qualifies as more no-hitter weirdness.


I have replayed multiple seasons and I have had multiple no-hitters every season. Why? I really don't know. I see posts from people who state they have not had a no-hitter even after decades of APBA play. So … again, why me?


Boston (AL) Manager
Ed Barrow
+ I am playing the computer game (Baseball-for-Windows), so there isn’t any rolling of physical dice, so I can't "fudge" dice rolls in either direction. There are no "do-overs" either … if I do (or don’t do) something I can't go back and make it like it never happened.

+ I am using the actual lineups for each team as used on that day. ATMgr loads these lineups for me before each game starts and I have the Baseball-Reference.com box score opened as well so that these lineups can be verified before each game begins. I don’t reconfigure lineups according to the value of a player's card, I just play it out as is. As such, I suppose it is true that from an APBA standpoint, teams are not always at their strongest, and each team has players that are relatively "weak" as part of their daily lineups anyway.

 

+ The other thing to remember is that a full-season replay consists of a high volume of games being played. Sixteen teams, 154-game season, ~1,232 total games to be played (further adjusted by rainouts and tied games).

 

If the number of no-hitters I see is too high, they are only at the high end of the range of normal. After all, I am not throwing 50 no-hitters in a season, but more like 4-6 … all in all, I suppose I should think that no-hitters should happen from time to time. I remain surprised whenever I do throw one, but I have learned to not overthink it. A special note on the event is made, but then it is time to move on to the next game.


https://pixels.com/featured/fenway-park-1915-gary-grigsby.html





No comments:

Post a Comment

1920 BBW Replay World Series and Conclusion

After a rambunctious and topsy-turvy regular season, it was time for the 1920 BBW Replay World Series. Last year's combatants, the Chica...